Table of Contents
Why it happens all the time that we forget to wash shoes? It might not in our mind as much important as washing clothes. It happens often (didn’t it?). Wearing clean shoes every day as much important as wearing tidy clothes. Playing in dusty courts or ground gives us a headache of washing them often. That why we are answering the common question related to shoes is Can I wash shoes in a washing machine?
The biggest fear of washing shoes in a washing machine is the health of the shoes. And the fear is right. Why you should want to waste something that you purchased with all your heart. Luckily, It’s not that complicated that you are thinking. If your shoes are Machine washable. It won’t harm your shoes.
Washable shoes can help you save your time and gives great results because they will look brand-new again. If you are wearing your favorite sneakers every day. It might not last as long, But by washing it at least once or twice a month. It can increase its life. Also, you can save them from losing their shape. It’s okay if you don’t do how to wash it. This guide is answering your each and every question (We hope so)
Is it Safe to Wash Shoes in the Washing Machine?
should you wash it in the washing machine or not depends on the material of your shoes. It is clearly mentioned in the manual. Does the shoe have its manual? Yes! You are right! Not all shoes come up with their manual. But if your shoes are made from fabrics like suede, rubber, or leather. It is not recommended to wash them in the washing machine. You can wash these types of shoes with a shoe cleaner. Meanwhile, Look at the shoes which risk-free to wash in the machine.
Which Shoes are Machine Washable?
It is easy to wash most trainers Athletic shoes or Canvas shoes like sketchers GOwalk and GOrun with non-leather uppers. They are made with textiles like cotton, polyester, and nylon. These materials cannot be damaged by laundry detergent. You can use a pillowcase or laundry bag to hold both shoes, wash on the gentle cycle, and air-dry.
CAUTION: Do not place shoes in the dryer. Some shoes are made of delicate material like embroidery, silk, or other embellishments; we recommend taking them to a shoe cleaning specialist to avoid damaging them. Some PVC and PU shoes may also be Machine washable.
Don’t forget to check the care label to see if your pair of shoes is washable or not. If the care label states “hand wash only,” then remember that you may still be able to machine wash your shoes on a “low spin” cycle setting. Just proceed carefully.
How to Wash Shoes in the Fully Automatic Washing Machine
You need to be aware of several things before you put your favorite pair of shoes in the washing machine. It will hardly take you any effort at all.
- First thing first. Check the label or check the manufacturer’s website to see either your shoes are machine-washed or hand washed. Some shoes simply are not made to go in the washer because some materials require specific handwashing methods. The label will also suggest the best way to wash shoes based on the type of material they are made from. If you follow the label, you will keep your favorite pair of sneakers smelling good and fitting perfectly for months to come.
- If your shoes are okay to clean in the machine. Make sure to take out the laces and insole before you put them inside. wash the laces separately using an old toothbrush. For insoles, Wash them with your hands. The insoles are sensitive parts of the shoes, and they should not be put in the washer.
- Add 3-6 large old bath towels to the washer with the shoes. It will help prevent your shoes from hitting around while the cycle runs, and it will keep the load balanced.
- Choose low or medium spin speed on a cold delicate cycle. choosing a low spin will make sure your washer stays balanced.
- Set a time varies from 30 to 45 minutes. This time is also recommended if you are washing PVC or PU. After they are done, remove the sneakers from the washing machine and allow them to air dry.
- In order to get rid of bacteria and the smell of sweating. use two parts of white vinegar in hot water and soak the insole for a few hours. It can neutralize the odors. Also, It’ll kill the bacteria hiding in the insole.
TIP: Use 80 percent pine oil at the beginning of the wash cycle to prevent fungus like athlete’s foot because pine oil has anti-inflammatory effects
What Detergent should I use?
Any liquid detergent soap will work perfectly fine here. Use a good color laundry liquid detergent that is used in warm, cold, or hot water to clean the sneaker’s insides. Soak a brush in the solution and scrub the surface of the shoe until clean.
CAUTION: Do not use powdered detergent. It has chances to stuck inside of your sneakers. Always use liquid Detergent.
What Temperature Do You Wash Shoes in the Washing Machine?
It doesn’t matter what brand or type of shoes you are about to clean. The recommended temperature to wash the shoe in a washing machine is 30° Celcius. This temperature offers with losing sneakers color.
Keeping the temperature at higher degrees can prevent the spread of germs. A 60° Celsius temperature can kill almost all any bacterias from inside because a washing machine is an easy breeding ground for microbes and this temperature is also good if your sneakers are white.
Is It Safe to Put Shoes in The Dryer Cycle?
Shoes can take forever to dry. Still, It is not recommended to put shoes in the dryer. It is because of the dryer’s high temperature. It can damage the shoe material. not only that. putting your shoes in the dryer damage the glue that keeps the sole together.
The best way to dry your sneakers is to put them in a well-ventilated area. Placing an old dry cotton towel inside each shoe will also help them dry. But, If you are in a hurry and you want your shoes ready immediately. you can use a hairdryer at its lowest temperature or place them 5-10 cm apart from the stove.
I’m Shafey. An avid runner since 2012. I am one of few people who like doing cardio instead of muscle building. I love spending time on treadmills, tracks, pavements, or any surface rather than exercising with dumbles.
With all those years of experience and spending the whole night reading blogs and researching different concepts of running. Learned a lot about new tips and tricks. In those years tried different running shoes (from $ to $$$). I got a great knowledge that can be shared with others. I may not be a professional running coach but YES an experienced runner who can guide right to beginners.✌️✌️